Lowndesboro, which had its beginnings before Alabama became a state, is a small residential community located off US Highway 80, in Lowndes County, Alabama.
With the cessation of the Creek Indian War (1814), Anglo-Saxon pioneers from Virginia, Georgia, and the Carolinas poured into the newly opened territory to seek their fame and fortune in the rich, bottom cotton land of central Alabama. The Lowndesboro Historic District encompasses some of the finest examples of Southern architecture in Alabama.
The majority of the residences line the main avenue with others located a short distance from the main road.
The homes range from unpretentious country homes, raised cottages to elaborate Greek revival mansions.
Additionally there are six churches dating from the 1830's to 1888, one of which supports the dome from Alabama's first capital.
A fire, September 8, 1927, destroyed the business section composed of shops, a hotel, a post office and a two-story Masonic Hall.
The Town was incorporated in 1962, to service the needs of potable water to its residence.
In 1973, the Town of Lowndesboro was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information concerning rental of Marengo for your venue
Lowndesboro Landmarks Foundation President: Wayne Taylor PO Box 34 Lowndesboro, Alabama 36752
Left to right: Carolyn Parker, Lowndesboro Landmarks Foundation, Mayor Rick Pate, Laura Howard, Lowndesboro Landmarks Foundation
Town Hall is located at Marengo!
'For more information contact:
Wayne Taylor PO Box 34 Lowndesboro, AL 36752
The Lowndesboro Landmarks Foundation is a
in 1974 for the
purpose of fostering, encouraging, and leading the preservation movement in the
Town of Lowndesboro
and the surrounding area.
Copyright 2012 Town of Lowndesboro. All rights reserved.